Friday 14 June 2019

Raw Mango Pachadi | Pacha Maanga Pachadi | Mangai Pachadi | Mamadikaya Pachadi


This is a dish with a lot of emotions attached to it.  This was one of my grandfather's favourite dish. This is my mom's favourite. And now it's mine too.. Earlier I was not a great fan of this. But after a point, I started relishing this relish. And what happened was I never used to get it right. So I have made this a couple of times and clicked a couple of times over a couple of years but somehow I was not satisfied. 

This year when my mom was home, I made her do this and after that I made it again a couple of times and it was tasting perfect each time. Just like that childhood days taste I have in my senses :) And this time I jotted down the measurements too and so it made it's way to the blog now. Sometimes (Many a times) the simplest of the dishes are the ones that take time to master than the complex ones. At least for me ;) This dish can be had like you have the pickle, as a side dish/relish for rice. Or if you are like me, can have it as such too :D

Makes: 1 cup


I Took: 

Preparation Time: 5 mins

Cooking Time: 20 mins


I Used:



Raw Mango - 1 medium sized (A heaped ½ cup)
Red Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - ¼ tsp
Salt
Water
-
-
As Needed
¼ cup
Jaggery - 2-3 tbsp
Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard  - ½ tsp
Red Chilly   - 1-2 nos
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs


The Way:


1. Trim the edges and peel the skin of the mango. Wash it well. The area near the stalk may have milk in it. So wash well else you will get a bitter taste

2. Chop the mango to small pieces (around ¼ inch pieces)

3. Take the chopped mangoes along with the red chilly powder, turmeric powder and salt in a kadai/pan. Add water and mix well


4. Keep the kadai on flame. When it comes to a boil, simmer the flame and  close the kadai with a lid and allow the mango pieces to get cooked. It will take around 5-7 minutes

5. Check once in a while to see that the water is not dried and the mango pieces doesn't get stuck at the bottom of the kadai

6. Once cooked you can see that much of the water has evaporated and you have a thick mix. Now add the jaggery granules to it. I use organic jaggery granules. So added as such

7. If you are using normal jaggery, scrape the jaggery and take them in a separate vessel. Add little water to it and heat it over flame. Once they dissolve switch off the flame and allow to cool. Then strain them using a strainer to remove any impurities in the jaggery and then add it to the pachadi


8. Once you add jaggery, it will release some water. Keep mixing over low flame for 2-3 minutes. The mix will come together. Switch off the flame then

9. In another tadka pan, heat oil. Splutter mustard


10.Add broken red chilly and curry leaves

11. Add this tadka to the pachadi. Mix well and serve


Notes:

  • Quantity of the red Chilly powder and jaggery mentioned here are that which I used for a moderately sour mango. Adjust them according to the mango that you use 
  • Use raw mangoes for making this pachadi. My mom says that the best ones for making this pachadi are the ones that are starting to turn ripe. The ones which are firm like raw mango but have a mild yellow colour to it
  • Adding tadka is optional. If you do not like, you can skip it

Cheers,
Chitz

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes the simplest of dishes never make to the blog but they are the best. We make something similar too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious, especially because it is sweet, spicy and sour... of course, it is always the simplest dishes that make you feel homesick...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by !! I am really happy that you take time to let me know how you feel :-)