Sunday 9 June 2019

Raw Banana Fry | Vazhakkai Fry | Vazhakya Tawa Fry | Vazhakkai varuval | Easy Vazhakka Roast


This is yet another shallow fry recipe that features quite often in my menu. As the husband man (and now at times the little man too) has a relatively low tolerance (it's the mind that speaks not the tummy ;)) towards veggies, I resort to more of frying the veggies and make them look like close cousins to non-vegetarian dishes ;) For me to feel less guilty, I mostly use 2 or at the max 3 tbsp oil and shallow fry them. It tastes yum and makes the boys eat (not love, no way I can make them I guess) the veggies as well. So this is a simple and crispy fry that pairs well with rice an curd or Sambar or Rasam or even with a Puli Kuzhambu :) Do try and let me know how you wooed your loved ones :)



Serves: 2-3 persons


I Took: 

Preparation Time: 20 mins

Cooking Time: 30 mins


I Used:


Raw Banana - 2 medium sized ones (1.5 cups after cutting)
Chilly powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
Garam Masala
Rice Flour (optional)
Oil
Mustard
Curry leaves
-
-
-
-
-
½ tsp
1-2 tbsp
2-3 tbsp
¼ tsp
2 sprigs
Salt - As Needed


The Way:


1. Gently scrape the skin of the plantains with a knife or a scraper. Do not remove the whole skin. Lightly scrape, maybe just the black spots alone you can scrape away. Rinse them in water. Trim the edges and cut them into thin round slices


2. Take the cut plantain slices in a steel bowl. Add the red chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt to it and mix well. Allow it to rest for 10-15 minutes

3. Heat oil for shallow frying in a frying pan


4. Once the oil is hot, splutter the mustard seeds and curry leaves. This is optional

5. Then reduce the flame to minimum. Arrange the plantain pieces in the frying pan and shallow fry them 

6. Once one side slightly turns colour, flip over and roast the other side as well. 

7. Once done, remove them onto a plate and fry the remaining plantain pieces also like this in batches and serve with rice and gravy


Notes:

  • If you may like, add a ¼ tsp of ginger garlic paste also while marinating the plantain pieces
  • If you like your plantain fry more crispier, add 1-2 tbsp of rice flour to the marination

Cheers,
Chitz

3 comments:

  1. What an exotic and delicious creation! I didn't even know that banana peels were edible. A really cool recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! That sounds so good! Would love to pair with my bowl of dal chawal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my most favorite poriyal for sure, after potatoes... always so comforting...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by !! I am really happy that you take time to let me know how you feel :-)