Saturday 16 March 2013

Wheat & Rye Bread - Scaled Flour Method - Scandinavian Bread - Baking Partner Challenge #8


Never in my life had I imagined that I would ever bake a loaf of bread. And little did I knew what was in store when I told Swathi that I wanted to join 'Baking Partners'. That I would have to bake a bread for my first challenge itself.. But it should say, it was lots of fun and even more of knowledge that I gained :) I am happy that I took the challenge and lived up to the first one. But I should admit that I was skeptical till the last moment of how I was going to pull this through.. Had a very busy two weeks that involved some travelling and a marathon of baking that I still was in dilemma deep inside, of how this is gonna work. 


So I woke up yesterday morning ready to bake.. But felt like the weather cheated on me. It was snowing like anything. Then I thought to myself 'This is the price you pay for procrastinating things.. See what happened coz u waited for the nth hour !!' It was shining pretty well for the past two weeks and little did I expect that it would snow. But no. This is not going to stop me. So I whipped up some hot chocolate and set off to work. 




For this month's challenge we were asked to choose from two different methods of bread baking. Tangzhong or Scaled Flour method. First is Asian and the second Scandinavian method of bread baking. I choose Scandinavian as I am residing in one presently and having tasted their bread often, I wanted to know if I could reproduce one :) The taste was not very close.. But it was nice and I enjoyed having it !!


And I would definitely bake the Tangzhong bread, maybe some time in the coming week. Yup, I will post that too. And now without further mumbling, on to my experience :)





Adapted from: Cornercafe



Yield : 1 loaf (23*10*10)

Consume: Best within 3-4 days

Storage: May be frozen to keep longer, defrost before serving


I Used:

For Scalded Flour:
Bread flour     -  100 gm (I used coarse wheat & rye flour)
Boiling water  -  100 ml



Main Dough:

Bread flour            -  350 gm (I used coarse wheat & rye flour)
Milk powder          -  20 gm/2 tbsp
Caster sugar          -  35 gm
Salt                      -  5 gm/1 tsp
Instant yeast          -  8 gm
Lukewarm water   -  200 ml (adjust as required)
Butter                  -  35 gm (chopped into small pieces at room temperature)



The Way:


Scalded Flour:
  1. Take bread flour in a bowl. Add the boiling hot water all at once over the flour and stir quickly with a fork until fully combined. There should be no more visible dry flour & it should be a doughy clumpy mixture
  2. Set aside for 5 minutes for the dough cluster to fully absorb the heat and the moisture
  3. Cover with cling film and let it cool to room temperature (Takes about ½ - 1 hour)

For the Main Dough:

  • Sift bread flour, milk powder, caster sugar and salt onto the working surface
  • Add instant dry yeast and mix well 
  • Make a well in the flour mixture and add the scalded flour mixture
  • Then gradually add just enough lukewarm water to form into a slightly sticky, soft dough 
  • Knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic
    • During this kneading, the dough also needs to be thrown onto the working surface once every few minutes to improve the dough structure
    • You can pick up the dough to about head-high and throw it down onto the working surface 10 to 20 times, every few minutes between kneading

  • Knead in butter until incorporated
  • Form the dough into a round ball and place in a large greased bowl and cover with a cling film
  • Allow the dough to rise until double in size (1st proofing)
    • This will take about 1 hour in warm weather, longer in winter months
    • To test if the dough has risen properly, dip a finger into bread or plain flour and poke down into the center of the dough as far as your finger will go and pull out again – the hole should remain if it is ready. If the dough springs back, then it is not ready, continue to prove further.
  • Once the dough is ready, roll it out into a long oval shape. Divide it into three equal portions
  • Take the first portion and using a rolling pin roll it up (Pic 4). Then roll up from the short end like a Swiss roll (Pic 5 & 6)
  • Continue the same rolling process with the other two portions of the dough
  • Place the rolled-up dough into the oiled bread loaf mould (23 cm (L) x 10 cm (W) x 10 cm (H))
  • Cover loosely and allow the dough to rise to almost the top of the tin, which is the secnd proofing (would take around 45 minutes - 1 hour)  
  • Once proofed, bake at 175°C in a preheated oven for 30 - 35 minutes or until golden brown

Cheers,

Chitz

32 comments:

  1. gr8 work ...looks really delectable ..
    Keep it up dear n Goodluck..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome dear ..looking fresh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great work Chitra - both with the pics and with the explanations :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Lovely! Making bread at home is a huge work!! Kudos to you. And looks like you nailed it, although you are being modest & saying that it did not taste the same as the ones in the shop. I must say, it is very inviting!!
    Hope you enjoyed having your bread/butter in the snow!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow mindblowing and super healthy bread, i didnt tried scalded method,i prepared mine with tangzhong method, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. really nice - am gonna try this method soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. so cute very healthy version got to try too loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Healthy & delicious. Got to try it soon.
    Tc,
    Humi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum yum bread. Thanks for stopping by my space. First time here and loved your blog. Following you here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow bread looks perfect and healthy too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Chitz, first of all thank you for passing the liebster award..I have been out on a vacation and have just returned ..will do the needful in some time. Happy to know you and am so loving your loaf of bread.

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks mouthwatering...just delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi chitz,
    Thank you so much for stopping by my space and joining me.The pic just above the recipe is really good ,feel like taking eating a piece out of that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an healthy bake, I should try this soon. Its damn tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments & support :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Superb job and thumbs up to your baking skills. I am an alien to baking, also I am always running out of time for baking. Love the beautiful outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi first time on your blog, you have a wonderful collection of recipes, thanks for following me, am following you too....

    ReplyDelete
  18. ABsolutely LOVED the texture of the bread!! First time here and you got a nice place :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Delicious bread, you use whole wheat and rye isn't? you need to change that in the recipe too. It says bread flour.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice use of rye and wheat flour...Healthy and delicious looking bread...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice healthy version .pics looks great.
    .tc,
    Humi

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Chitz...I'm glad you stopped by my space...You have a wonderful space here...
    The bread looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great job you did! The bread looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such lovely texture this bread has. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow,The bread looks perfect.Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amazingly delicious bread Chitz... Looks tasty :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by !! I am really happy that you take time to let me know how you feel :-)