Fish cooked in tamarind pulp and curd
'I am running out of recipes. I don't know what to cook today'. There goes my usual ranting to my mom. I don't like to repeat the dishes quite often. So I always feel I am out of ideas when I decide on what to cook. That's when mom told me what they had for lunch that day. It was this new but old fish curry. New but old coz mom used to make it regularly some years back and then stopped, but now has revived back on the menu as she is on a health plan and cutting low on tamarind (Curd gets her the tangy flavour she needs) !!
Recipe Source : Ma's Cookbook
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time : 30 minutes
|Onion||-||100 gm or 1 medium|
|Tomato||-||100 gm or 1 medium|
|Ginger-Garlic paste||-||2 tsp|
|Tamarind||-||Small Lemon sized|
|Fenugreek seeds||-||1 tsp|
|Turmeric powder||-||¼ tsp|
|Red Chilly powder||-||3 tsp|
|Coriander powder||-||4 tsp|
|Cumin seed powder||-||1 tsp|
|Curry leaves||-||1 sprig|
|Coriander leaves||-||2 sprig|
- Grind the onion and tomatoes separately in a mixer and keep aside
- Soak the tamarind in water and extract the pulp
- Beat the curd and keep aside
- Heat oil. Add mustard, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves.
- When the mustard begins to splutter, add the onion paste followed by the ginger-garlic paste and saute well until the raw smell goes. Add the tomato paste and fry well.
- Now add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, coriander powder and cumin seed powder and saute.
- Add the tamarind pulp. When it comes to a slow boil, add the cleaned fish pieces and cook in medium flame for 10 mins or until the fish is half done. Add water as required.
- Add the beaten curd and coriander leaves and cook on low flame until the fish is well done :-)
Treat it with rice or dosas :-)
Adjust the tamarind and curd to suit your taste buds. Add a green chilly in the end if you want to adjust the taste.