Thursday 1 November 2018

Methi Paratha | Methi Roti | Methi ka Paratha | Fenugreek Leaves Flat bread


Are you a fan of methi? Well, I looove kasuri methi (dried methi leaves).. It definitely takes the North Indian dishes up a notch :) But the raw methi leaves? I like it if they do not have the bitter taste. The 'Methi Malai Matar' is one of my fav recipes using methi. So what many suggest is to soak methi leaves in salt water for 10 minutes and then to drain and use so that the bitterness is reduced. But what my mom says is that the nutrients will be lost if we are doing like that :D 

Still at times I do soak the methi in salt water and use coz otherwise it is very difficult to get me and my family to finish the dish :D And the exception is this paratha.. Here I use fresh methi leaves as such and I do not get that bitter taste in the paratha at all. And that's one more reason why I love making this paratha often :) I sometimes make in bulk and have them as a snack when hunger pangs strike :) It is healthy and also methi reduces your blood sugar level and is really good for diabetic patients as well as those with PCOS. But do not go overboard in a day too :) And now off to the recipe then..

Other methi recipes that might interest you would be Methi Malai MatarAloo Methi & Methi Dal



I Took: 

Preparation Time: 15 minutes

Cooking Time: 15 minutes

 

Makes : 6 small sized parathas


I Used:


Atta/Whole Wheat Flour - 1 cup
Fresh Methi Leaves - ½ cup - chopped
Green Chilli - 1 small sized - finely chopped
Ajwain/Carom Seeds - ¼ tsp
Garam Masala - ½ tsp
Oil - 2 tsp
Salt - As Needed
Water - Slightly less than ½ cup
Oil/Ghee - To roast the Chapathis


The Way:


1. Pluck the leaves off the stalks of the methi. Rinse the leaves well (2-3 times) in water. Drain them completely. Then chop the methi leaves finely and keep aside

2. In a bowl, take the atta and salt. Mix well

3. Then add the finely chopped green chilly, ajwain, garam masala, chopped methi leaves and 2 tsp oil and mix


4. Pour water little by little and knead to a smooth dough

5. Now once kneaded, divide them into 4-6 equal sized small balls. I love them small and hence make 6 parathas out of this quantity of atta

6. Dust the dough ball with some flour and then roll the parathas using a rolling pin. You can roll it thin or thick as desired. I keep it as thin as I can :)



7. Meanwhile heat a tawa. When the tawa is hot enough (you can see the flames starting to come), place one rolled paratha on it and allow it to cook

8. After a few seconds (around 15-20) flip the paratha and apply the oil/ghee (a few drops) and allow to cook for a few seconds

9. Then flip again and apply oil/ghee on the other side as well

10. Flip again a couple of times till the paratha is evenly cooked and has brown spots. Press the edges of the paratha with a spatula so that it gets cooked 



11. Repeat the same with the other dough balls and serve them warm with pickle and curd

Notes:

  • You can make the atta and methi leaves ratio as 1:1 as well. I like it 1:½ so keep it that way
  • If you do not like ajwain, you can omit them
  • Can add chopped garlic (2-3 cloves) if you like. Play around the flavours as you like
  • Use fresh methi leaves for a good tasty paratha
Cheers,
Chitz

3 comments:

Thank you for stopping by !! I am really happy that you take time to let me know how you feel :-)