Friday 15 February 2013

Rava Ladoo | Rava Laddu | Semolina Ladoo

Sweet balls of semolina and sugar



Sweets! I am a very picky person when it comes to sweets. And rava ladoo is one among the few favorites of mine. And it also holds the distinction of being the second sweet I made all on my own after marriage :D  and Deeps loves this one.. For a long time I was under the impression that it's very difficult to make sweets at home. But then I was at my lovely sister's place for one Diwali, I realised that I was under a very wrong feeling all this while !! It was in a jiffy, she made two sweets and a savory. I should say that's where I was struck with the arrow of confidence for making sweets at home ;) 


Recipe Source : Rak's Kitchen

I Took : 40 minutes


I Used :

Rava/Semolina  -  1 cup 
Sugar                -  1 cup
Ghee                -  ¼ cup
Milk                  -  1 tbsp
Cardamom        -  1 no
Cashew nuts      -  8 nos


The Way:

  1. Roast semolina in a pan on a reduced flame till a nice aroma comes. Keep stirring continuously to ensure the semolina is roast evenly and it does not burn
  2. Cool down and grind it into a very fine powder using mixer. I used fine ground semolina and hence avoided this step
  3. Powder sugar along with cardamons in a mixer. Sieve off the pods of cardamom from the powdered sugar
  4. Sieve the powdered semolina and sugar to a bowl
  5. Heat ghee in the pan. Fry the cashews in it till golden brown and add it to the semolina-sugar mixture
  6. Sprinkle the milk and mix thoroughly
  7. Make small ladoos (balls) out of this mixture immediately. Roll it tight, if you could not roll, sprinkle little more milk or add more warm ghee and roll it again

Notes:


  • I used confectioners' sugar. Hence needn't powder the sugar. I used only around 3/4 cup of the confectioners' sugar, else it would make the ladoo too sweet
  • While half way through the rolling of the ladoos, the mixture lost its heat. So I microwaved for 2 minutes and then added milk and rolled again

I love making this sweet that I follow verbatim from Rak's kitchen. So here goes this post to the Tried and Tasted from Rak's Kitchen event happening at Nivedhanam

Tried and Tasted Jan_13












Cheers,
Chitz

5 comments:

  1. so delicious!!! Thanks for linking it to my event!! Looking for more yummy recipes!!
    Sowmya
    Ongoing Event - Tried and Tasted - Raks Kitchen
    Ongoing Event - Know Your Dairy - Cheese
    Ongoing Event - Dish it out - Lentils & Garlic
    Ongoing Event - What is with my Cuppa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rava laddo is a staple at home!!
    And I'm sure, nobody can say they hate this ladoo!! Quickest ladoo ever!!
    My mom used to make quite a lot of this and pack them to my Hostel so that I can have them for at least a couple of days.
    My aunt calls it a "Poor man's dessert" :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. Loved ur aunt's description.. Ur hostel friends must have had a great time then, when u r back from home :)

      Delete
  3. Yummy and delicious ladoo's.. Thanks for sharing Chitz :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by !! I am really happy that you take time to let me know how you feel :-)