Amaranthus cooked in starch water
I know amaranthus or spinach is healthy and by now you must be knowing that my family is a popeye family except me. I eat amaranthus only because it is healthy and not because I like it :D And today's recipe is from my mil. Deeps loves when the spinach is made like this. It is very similar to the Cheera Thoran but only difference is this is made like a gravy for rice and for the gravy instead of using dal, starch water is used. Not heard of before? Even I didn't before getting married ;) It is very easy to make and can be made in a jiffy. If your folks are tired of eating spinach with dal combo, try this way!
My other spinach recipes are Cheera Parippu Curry, Cheera Thoran, Sirukeerai Paruppu Masiyal, Vallarai keerai Poriyal, Chembila Mezhukkupuratti, Chembin Thandu Parippu Curry & Palak Paneer
Recipe Source : Mil
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 30 minutes
Serves : 3-4 persons
|3 cups - chopped
|Red Chilly||-||2 nos|
|Green Chilly||-||2 nos|
|Rice cooked water/Starch water||-||As Needed (I used 2.5 cups)|
1. Slice the shallots and keep aside. And rinse the spinach in water 3-4 times to remove the mud and other impurities and drain them. Then chop them finely and keep aside
2. In a pan heat coconut oil. Add the sliced shallots and also break the red chillies into two and slit the green chillies and add them as well
3. Saute them well until they turn colour to slight brown
4. Now add the starch water or the rice cooked water to it. Allow it to come to a boil
5. Now add the chopped spinach to it and give a nice stir. Close the pan and allow the spinach to cook in low flame. It will take around 10-15 minutes for the spinach to cook.
6. Check in between to see if the starch water is sufficient for the gravy. if you find it's less add accordingly. The amount of starch water is completely your choice and depends on how thick/thin you want our gravy to be. If you do not have or do not want to use starch water you can use water instead or else half and half of starch water and normal water
7. When the spinach is cooked switch off and serve with rice and a side dish of your choice !
Simple and very delicious! Love some for my rice :-)ReplyDelete
I can eat spinach everyday! In my family everybody loves it, thankfully :) I make a similar dish but with few potatoes bites too along with the spinach.ReplyDelete
wow, that is an interesting recipe to know.. I have never heard of it before.. got to try itReplyDelete