Tuesday 13 August 2013

Simple Tur Dal Tadka | Pappu South Indian Style

Tur Dal & tomatoes tempered with Indian tadka



My idea of comfort food? That which takes me less time, I say less than half an hour to prepare & that which leaves me & my stomach (at times waistline too;)) happy. This is one of that kind for me. When I am very hungry or very lazy I can make this, rasam & a simple stir fry & enjoy the meal contentedly :) Usually I would have dal with rice as the first course & then dal+rasam with rice as my second course ! That's the kinda combination that makes me go gaga about :) So let's see how this simple tadka a.k.a pappu can be made.






Recipe Source: Ma

I Took: 30 minutes

Serves: 2 persons



I Used:

Tur Dal - ½ cup
Tomato - 1 no - medium sized
Tamarind - A bluberry sized
Garlic - 3 cloves
Green Chilly - 2 no
Turmeric powder - ½ tsp
Salt - As Needed

To Temper:

Mustard - ½ tsp
Urad Dal - 2 tsp
Red Chilly - 2-3 no
Asafoetida - ½ tsp
Curry leaf - A sprig
Oil - 1 tbsp



The Way:

  1. Soak tur dal in water for 20-30 minutes
  2. In a pressure cooker add the tur dal, diced tomato, tamarind, crushed garlic, slited green chilly, turmeric powder & salt. Add enough water & pressure cook for 3-4 whistles or until the dal is done
  3. Mash the cooked dal well
  4. Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard. Add the remaining ingredients under 'To Temper' & fry well. Take care not to burn 
  5. Add the tempering to the mashed dal & mix well
Serve with rotis or steamed rice

Cheers,
Chitz

33 comments:

  1. Would love to pair this with hot plain rice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very flavorful and comforting dal tadka. Wonderful spread here....

    today's post:
    http://sanolisrecipies.blogspot.in/2013/08/kifli-hungarian-pastry.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. i too make the same way but won't add tamarind.apt for lazy days

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect pappu.......Like to add a ghee is lovely combination.........


    x❤x❤
    http://indianveggiesbhojan.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liked it how neatly u have laid the tempering on top. Nice presentation as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG...un plato perfecto rica combinación,hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wat a comforting dal,hearty and inviting..

    ReplyDelete
  8. somethg taste best whn simpe and this is one of it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dal looks simply superb.. Love to have it with hot rice..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely comforting dal, I just love it, protein packed bowl of dal perfect with hot rice and appalam...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This I call comfort food. Just need some steaming hot rice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah beautiful paripu curry and I want that container too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its simplicity but its the flavors with the dhal which oozes out the delicious taste. My fav though I cook when my other half is not around. Comfort and with lots of rice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. super tempting recipe....its always a comfort dish

    ReplyDelete
  15. Comforting and heartful, I love this dal

    ReplyDelete
  16. Simple, tempting and corting dal Chitz.. Hey dear.. Please collect your ABC Award from me... http://kitchenserenity.blogspot.in/2013/08/two-awesome-blog-content-abc-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Delicious and comforting dal..

    ReplyDelete
  18. that's a perfect comforting meal for the lazy days, i must say...

    ReplyDelete
  19. i try to avoid green chili dear.. i replace it with dry chilies.. nice color and sure a healthy recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice and healthy! love your presentation :)
    http://kitchenista-welcometomykitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. simple, delicious dal..nice presentation...bowl looks so cute...

    ReplyDelete
  22. one of the favourite dishes!Nice photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My favorite :) Lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Perfect comfort food ! nice presentation and clicks Chitz !

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very bright dhal and lovely photos. I was looking for a simple curry. This is one quick dish!

    ReplyDelete
  26. comforting dal dear.am missed few posts here.apologize:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks everyone for your awesome comments & encouraging words :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Please let me know if you�re looking for a article writer for your site. You have some really great posts and I feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I�d absolutely love to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please send me an email if interested. Thank you! article source

    ReplyDelete
  29. No more s***. All posts of this qaulity from now on click here for more

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by !! I am really happy that you take time to let me know how you feel :-)