Friday 9 August 2013

Coconut Milk Rice | Thengai Paal Sadam | Thengapal Sadam | Coconut Pulav

Coconut Pilaf using Coconut Milk



This is yet another winner recipe from my mom & which always makes me drool just thinking about the dish. It has been a favorite of my friends too, especially for many of whom who had not come across this variety rice before ! Rich in it's own way without much ghee or nuts & raisins & flavored with the Indian whole spices this one is a perfect one pot meal for me. Pair it up with a spicy chicken gravy, ahh bliss !! I have never tried a veg side dish for this one, but I feel dal tadka or any other dal recipe for that matter would be apt. So without much chattering, let's move on to the recipe :)



Recipe Source: Ma

I Took: 30 minutes

Serves: 2-3 persons


I Used:

Basmati Rice  - 1 cup
Thick Coconut Milk - 1 cup
Water - 1 cup
Onion - 1 no - big sized - sliced
Green Chilly - 3 no - slited
Garlic - 7-8 cloves
Cinnamon - An inch piece
Clove - 2 no
Cardamom - 2 no
Bay Leaf - 2-3 no
Oil - 1 tbsp
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Salt - As Needed

The Way:

  1. Rinse the basmati rice & soak in water for 10-15 minutes
  2. Extract the coconut milk from coconut if using fresh one. For this recipe I used ½ a medium sized coconut to extract the milk
  3. In a pan, add 1 tbsp oil & add the soaked rice (without the water) & fry very gently for about 2-3 minutes. Keep this aside
  4. Heat another pan or pressure cooker. Add 1 tbsp oil & 1 tbsp ghee. Add the whole spices - cinnamon, cardamom, cloves & bay leaf. When it starts to crackle add the green chillies & garlic
  5. Saute till the garlic gives out the flavor. Now add the onions & salt & saute till it becomes translucent. Keep the flame low & take care not to burn or change the color of the onion else it will be reflected in the rice
  6. Now add the rice. Give a gentle mix & add the coconut milk & water. Cover the vessel & cook till the rice is done. Or pressure cook it till done. Mine was done in 1 whistle
Serve with a dal or non-veg gravy of your choice :)

Notes:

  • I used India Gate Basmati Rice for this recipe
  • The rice:liquid ratio is 1:2. Hence used 1 cup coconut milk & 1 cup water. Alternately you can use 1 cup thick coconut milk & 1 cup thin coconut milk or 2 cups of thick coconut milk depending on how rich you want the rice to be
  • You can add 2-3 leaves of mint/pudina for an extra zing & aroma. But I have not added here
  • Garlic is added for easy digestion as the coconut milk & ghee here makes the rice a heavy dish. You may reduce the quantity of garlic if needed. The quantity mentioned in the recipe gives out a subtle flavor & aroma & does not make it too strong

Cheers,
Chitz

22 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite recipe...tastes superb with chicken gravy. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite dear, love coconut milk rice.... yours looks very tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks very yummy and your clicks are also awesome....

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favor rice...........Looks great.!!!!!

    x❤x❤
    http://indianveggiesbhojan.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can imagine the flavor and taste of coconut milk in a rice .. I am actually drooling ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...lovely flavors it must have! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coconut milk rice is looking yum.. Perfect clicks

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried to make once but it was a disaster. Don't know what went wrong and my other half didn't like the taste at all. And now I see a recipe which I am going to try. I adore anything with coconuty flavors and I also see the spices added.

    Beautifully made and yum to the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love this flavorful, rich and creamy rice...rice looks so perfect and inviting

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always wanted to make this, maybe am going to over the weekend

    ReplyDelete
  11. Flavourful, delicious rice bowl.. Love the way you clicked your pictures..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chitz I made it few weeks back with coconut milk for the first time.It was so good unlike my usual way of using grated coconut which stays separate from rice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I making this again. . I am in love with this rice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Coconut milk rice looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. rice looks so tempting and your clicks are awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. we too make the same way,best combo will be dry fish curry

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yumm, rice cooked in coconut milk, I won't even need a dal to down this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. rice cooked in coconut milk...wow that would be so much to side with good chicken curry too...nice idea

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by !! I am really happy that you take time to let me know how you feel :-)