My mom used to make this dish regularly at our home before. Actually this was one of the dishes that she learnt to cook during her initial days after marriage. She learnt this recipe from one of my dad's buddy as this was one of my dad's favorite way of having eggs back then :) So you can call this a bachelor special recipe as well as it is easy to make and tastes great and is a non-veg dish as well. So let's see step by step how this is made..
Egg Rice | Muttai Sadam
Recipe Source: Ma
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Serves : 2 persons
1. Soak tamarind in ¼ cup of water (preferably warm) for 10-15 minutes. Then extract the pulp and keep aside.
2. Heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds.
3, Add onion, green chilly and salt. Saute well. The onion should turn slightly brown in colour.
4. Now add all the masala powders - turmeric powder, red chilly powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Saute well for 2-3 minutes till the masala blends nicely with the onion and the raw smell goes off.
5. Now add the tomatoes and saute.
6. The tomatoes should become soft and mushy. Saute occasionally till then. Take care that they do not stick to the bottom of the pan or get burnt.
7. Now when the tomatoes have mashed down well, add the extracted tamarind juice.
8. Also add sufficient quantity of water. You can add water suitable for your gravy needs. I added 1.5 cups of water.
9. Allow the water to come to a boil. Check the salt at this point and add if required.
10. Now break the eggs and drop them gently into the gravy.
11. If you like, you can gently break the yolk as shown in the pic below so that they cook well and also faster.
12. Allow the eggs to cook well. You can close the pan and also cook. This may take about 3-4 minutes.
13. Once the eggs are cooked, garnish with curry leaves and coriander leaves and serve hot with phulkas/rice.
- Instead of chopped tomatoes, you can add tomato puree as well. Just grind two tomatoes in mixie and add them instead of the chopped ones
- You can add ginger-garlic paste if you like, Without them also, the gravy tastes awesome :)
- Add little tamarind only as specified in the ingredients list. Else both the tomatoes and tamarind can contribute and make the gravy extra sour
- You can use tamarind paste also instead of extracting juice from fresh tamarind. Use ½ tsp then