Tuesday 5 February 2013

Palak Paneer

Spinach pureed & cooked with chunks of cottage cheese




Hello friends.. It's spinach time. Last week I got hold of a fresh bunch of palak and I couldn't resist myself from making the special of any dhaba 'Palak Paneer'. This time I had them with chapathis as I was a little lazy but the next time I make it, I wanna have it with peas pulav. 

Whenever I come across Palak Paneer, I remember the 'girls vs boys' contest I and my friends had in office. Me and my mates went for grocery shopping together, after office one day and both the girls and guys got palak. We girls made palak paneer and took it to office the next day. And we started off like 'This is the perfect palak paneer and lo-lo'. Then the guys challenged us that they can do better than us. They were very confident as they had our friend - the Delhi guy in their side. And yes, they did bring palak paneer the next day and we all enjoyed the gravy again :D And to the contest - both the girls and boys team believe that they surpassed the other.. What to say, just another excuse to enjoy food na ;) So here goes the recipe which can be enjoyed with chapathi, paratha, peas pulav, vegetable biriyani :)

My other spinach recipes are Cheera Parippu CurryCheera ThalippuSirukeerai Paruppu MasiyalVallarai keerai PoriyalChembila MezhukkupurattiChembin Thandu Parippu Curry & Cheera Thoran




Recipe Source : Ma's Cookbook

I took: 45 minutes 



I Used:

Palak                        -  1 bunch
Paneer                      -  150 g (Cubed)
Onion                       -  200 gm 
Tomato                    -  200 gm 
Cumin seeds             -  ½ tsp
Green chilly              -  4 silted 
Ginger Garlic paste    -  2 tsp 
Chilly powder           -  2 tsp 
Coriander powder    -  4 tsp 
Turmeric powder      -  ½ tsp 
Cumin powder          -  1 tsp 
Salt                          -  As needed
Cream                      -  4 tbsp


The Way:

  1. Wash and clean the palak 
  2. Now blanch the palak. For this boil water in a pan. When the water boils add the palak. Close the pan with a lid and simmer for 3-4 min. Finally drain the water and grind the palak to a smooth paste
  3. Heat oil/ghee in a pan. Fry the paneer and dip the in hot water for a few seconds and keep aside
  4. Heat oil in a wok. Add cumin seeds
  5. When it splutters add onion and fry till it turns golden brown in color
  6. Then add ginger-garlic paste and saute well
  7. Add tomato. Saute till the mix is dry 
  8. Add green chilly, chilly powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, salt and ½ a glass of water. Mix well 
  9. Put in the palak and the paneer cubes. When the gravy comes to a boil add cream
  10. Garnish with coriander leaves


Notes:

  • The paneer can be added without frying also
  • If you are frying the paneer in oil, don't forget to dip in hot water. Else it makes the paneer harder
  • Can substitute cream with milk

Cheers,
Chitz

2 comments:

  1. Palak panner is always a rich & inviting recipe.
    Easy to make and tastes incredible.
    Your Palak color is super good. I don't think in india we get this lovely green color without adding food color :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by !! I am really happy that you take time to let me know how you feel :-)